Updated: Sep 10, 2020
Nice to see you back in my blog.
This time I will show you what I had to do
to prepare the wings for painting and how I applied the dark earth color to the top side.
This is how the wings looked like after assembly:
There was some rework necessary at the connection between the nacelles and the wing and at the connection of the engines to the nacelles. The other faults made by HK regarding the position of the dinghy storage and the landing lights I already described in one of the former posts.
As an example for the fit of the nacelles to the wing have a look at the following pictures:
I had to insert 0,5 mm plastic-sheet between the nacelle and wing.
Next example for the fit of the engine to the nacelle:
Same as of above...
And also the front of the engine cowlings needed rework:
I had to add a small stripe to each front so that the distance of all cowlings to the props were aligned. Maybe I made a mistake when assembling...?
Then followed the usual task of sanding, rescribing and riveting. This was a huge amount of work because there are a lot of panellines and rivets on both sides of the wing. After this was finished the inside of the flaps were painted, weathered and masked of:
Now followed the priming and rework of faults still visible. Here are some examples:
When the rework was done I started the painting-process with the preshading of all panellines on the wing parts:
inboard-flaps and landing-gear doors
lower and upper ailerons
lower right wing
lower left wing
upper right wing
upper left wing
and some detail pictures:
as you can imagine this process was very time consuming. Finally I sanded the surface smooth with my 12.000 sanding cloth.
Then I started with the application of the dark earth.
I used the mixtures and techniques as already described in the earlier posts.
As already stated the AK RC-Colors are highly recommended for painting.
Here are some photos of the different stages:
right wing and aileron finished
left wing and aileron finished
With these pictures I close my post for today.
In the next post I will describe how I applied the masks and the dark green to
I wish you a nice weekend and hope to see you soon again in my blog.